The story of us...The Watts Family...and regular updates for those who are following...


Health Concerns...

Tuesday (yesterday) was crazy busy! First we had an OB appointment. Then it was down to the lab for the 1-hour glucose tolerance test to see if I am at risk for gestational diabetes. Then, finally, from 6 to 8:30, we had our very first childbirth education/lamaaz class! We did not even get back home until around ten last night!

Today (Wednesday) I get a phone call from my OB nurse telling me that my sugar was high. It was 163 and should have been 130 or under. So. Tomorrow (Thursday) I have to go and get my blood taken 4 times for the 3-hour glucose tolerance test. No eating or drinking (not even water!) after midnight tonight! I am not even allowed to leave the lab area tomorrow. I am going to be SO bored. Sick out of my gourd from dumping syndrome (related to gastric bypass surgery and it happens to a LOT of people when they eat/drink something sweet) and I have to sit there for 3 stupid hours? I am sooooooo not looking forward to that. I was going to hop over to the hospital and pre-admit myself in labor and delivery so that we would not have to bother with it when the time actually gets here to deliver but as I said, they will not even allow you to leave the lab area.

Anyway, people tell me that I could pass the 3-hour test just fine, but I am afraid that I have the full blown GD. They told me today that I also have anemia and have to take iron pills, starting NOW. Happy, happy, joy, joy. I swear, if it’s not one thing it is another.

So, STRESSED OUT is how I’m feeling. I know I shouldn’t stress, of course, but it’s hard when something upsets your life like that! I do NOT want to be on meds and I do NOT want to have to take insulin shots!! And quite honestly, I do not know if I have the willpower it will take to follow a diabetic diet. Perhaps THAT is what worries me the most out of this whole experience.

Want to hear something funny? Well. After I got the call from the OB’s office I got sooooo scared and nervous and freaked out. I needed to wax my eyebrows, and that usually really relaxes me. So. I go into the bathroom, remove my glasses and apply the warm wax to my brows, put a brow paper on them, wait a few seconds and smooth the area, and then decided to pull it off. WELL! I gasped out loud when I pulled the paper off…OMG, I have taken off HALF of my left brow!!! I am completely mortified now. I look like a boxer or something. ONLY HALF AN EYEBROW. Now, how’s that for a little stress relief??? So then I had to get into the HOT, HOT shower just to relax myself from THAT whole experience.

Yee gads, what a day.

On a happier note, my Aunt Penny left me this beautiful rose today. I was SO surprised and it pleased me a lot. It’s the most perfect rose I think I have ever seen!

I don’t know when she brought it, or if she had the flower shop deliver it or what because I never heard the doorbell ring and the dogs never barked, so I don’t know. Anyway, it really brightened my day. The past 2 days have been pretty crappy and stressful. I’m hoping the rest of the week will be better! I should know by Friday the results of my 3-hour GTT and I will keep ya’ll posted…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz, this is the first time I have had a chance to get on here :( Prayerfully your testing came back okay and you are feeling well. Praying for you!